About the Wilkins Foundation
Although specific aims will be developed by the Board, the general aims listed below suffice to summarise the spirit of the Foundation:
- To “Bring Wilkins Home™” by commemorating Sir Hubert Wilkins as a significant South Australian, by making his achievements and ideas better known as part of the scientific and cultural heritage of South Australia.
- To promote the legacy of Sir Hubert Wilkins as a cinematographer, war hero, aviator, navigator, polar explorer, submariner, citizen scientist, public intellectual and philosopher
- To “Unlock Your Inner Explorer™” by promoting, encouraging, investing in or funding
- Wilkins-inspired exploration, whether by citizen-scientists or otherwise; and citizen-science or cultural projects by way of grants or scholarships.
- To organise, invest in or fund events, seminars, lectures, and conferences related to the life or interests of Sir Hubert Wilkins
- To promote educational material for schools which highlight the life of Sir Hubert Wilkins
- To assist in the research and production of Wilkins-inspired media projects
- To raise funds for the Foundation’s foregoing objects.
- To undertake any object or purpose reasonably incidental to the foregoing objects.
The board is currently investigating various funding possibilities.
Individual are of course welcome to contribute via the Foundation’s bank account:
BankSA: BSB 105 131 Act. No. 073110140
List of Board Members (All lists in the TWF will be alphabetical to reduce the feeling of hierarchy that can sometimes spring up in volunteer organisations).
David Bagshaw (Adelaide)
Wilkins@Dock2 Architectural and Planning Director
Paul Ryan (Adelaide)
Main Sponsor and Owner of 57 Films. Film Project Instigator
Nina Bellersheim (Sydney)
Social Media Coordinator and Events Consultant
Stephen Sheppard (Adelaide)
Business Plan Consultant
Stephen Carthew (Adelaide)
Foundation Secretary and Editor of Hello Hello!
Geoff Strempel (Adelaide)
Archival Consultant and Editor of the Website with Stephen Carthew.
Richard 'Harry' Harris SC OAM
Rob Thomas (Adelaide)
Scientific Consultant and 'Citizen Science' Project Plan Director.
Dr Adrian McCallum (Sunshine Coast)
Explorer Scientist and Coordinator of 'Disadvantaged Kids' Projects
Robin Turner (Adelaide)
Chair of the Board
Olivia Butler & Andrew Pulford from 57 Films – Website Administrators
Andrew Dawe – The Wilkins Chronicle
Tom Endrusick – The Wilkins US consultant
Philip Van Dueren – The Wilkins Diaries Transcriptions
How to get involved
The Wilkins Foundation is seeking:
- Academics, industry leaders, public figures interested in joining the board.
- People with specific interest in the various Wilkins domains of interest
- Financial contributions to have important film, audio tapes and various texts digitised and transcribed, so that they can be ordered and made available via a Wilkins time-line to be constructed on this website.
- People with the skills and time to transcribe into Word, old texts which exist only as digitised images or photocopies of originals.
- Any other contribution of skill or time which you feel could be helpful to the promotion of Wilkins.
We value your time and energy, so your commitment will be sporadic, as required for specific short projects and initiatives, rather than regular meetings. If you would like to become involved please contact the foundation via email.
Please visit positions vacant for specific volunteer opportunities